Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whiskey Beach

The lawn was mowed,
the pool was cleaned,
the garden was weeded,
the dishes were done
{well, done by my stanards anyways}
...so we made a day of it last Sunday at our favorite beach.
Whiskey Beach






Little did we know we were sitting on the nations 2nd cleanest beach!

Just the other day the Delaware's Cape Henlopen State Park was given this rating by the National Resources Defense Council!
The name 'Whiskey Beach' was coined back in the 1920's because it was a drop off point for illegal bootleg liquor!
It sit's at the south end of Cape Henlopen.


Locals know it as Gordon's Pond...which is a small pond (seen below in the back) created by the Atlantic Ocean waters and wind. It is now a wonderful place to see the local wildlife. The observation towers on the beach were built by the Army during WWII. You can climb up and get the most gorgeous view of the park!
The above photo is by Kevin Fleming, a fabulous photographer with awesome shots of Delaware like this one below....' crop duster and sunflowers' ...

you can see more of Kevin's photography here....but, I digress, back to Whiskey Beach....
one of our favorite things about this beach (besides the fact that it is sorta hidden from tourists~always far less crowded!) is this neat pavillion .....


where we can grill and get a little relief from the scorching sun....


or, on this day...shelter from the approaching storm!






The sunbathers & swimmers began coming over the hill in droves...they told us they heard we were in a tornado watch and when the thunder, lightning and wind began...I believed them!
But we decided to stay...we weren't done eating our burgers!!! It was awesome to watch the storm go over... a little scary but still awesome.
~~I had tried to post this blog post earlier this week but my computer has been infected with a terrible virus all week! After days of working on it with the greatest people at bleepingcomputer.com
I think we've fixed it. If you have any computer issues at all you should visit them...they are brilliant, friendly and free!!!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone...I'm hoping for another day at Whiskey Beach!!

7 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Lucky You to live so close to a beach!! Beautiful photos! The closest beach to me is 6 hours but girl I go every chance I get!

So glad to had fun and the storm passed over! Leaving you all still in tact!

Have a great weekend!

Lou Cinda :)

Blondie's Journal said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic day, Paula! I love the beach although the only real beach we have is on Lake Michigan, but hey...it's a beach! lol!

I'm glad you made it through the storm...I think I would have packed up, tornado warning really get me.

Love the new sign in your header. I'm just about due for more!! ;-D

xoxo
Jane

Unknown said...

Lovely beach pix! I'm glad your computer virus is gone and that you had a nice break.

Sandy xox

Victoria said...

Oh I sooooo wish we had summer storms here in So Cal!!! I've experienced them in FL and just love them:)

Whiskey beach looks lovely and good for you for braving the storm!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Thanks for bringing us along ~ great photos!!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I've actually not been to that beach!


Hey, what on earth do you mean you stayed to finish your burgers during a tornado watch??!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, Paula! I'm embarrassed as a native Delawarean I've never heard of this beach. As a child we always visited Cape Henlopen Beach. Maybe we were in fact hanging out on Whiskey Beach. Now, as an adult when we want to hang out on the beach, we go to Fenwick Island (which we were just this past weekend!) or the Towers Beach State Park (named after the same lookout towers you referred to above) - the one between Dewey and the Indian River Inlet.

Whiskey Beach looks like a great place to visit. Thanks for alerting this native to a new place. Maybe we'll run into you there before the season's over! ;o)

Oh yeah, I did see that rating regarding about Delawares' Beaches. Isn't it wonderful!