Thursday, October 1, 2009

{the anatomy of a sign}

thought it would be fun to share with you my creative process...

every year I get the urge to paint one of my favorites for
Halloween,
a vintage postcard sign, here is one from last year (sold on ebay):




this year I've created this gal below, and I just love how she came out!



she is listed on ebay now {click here}
but before you go check out my little
'anatomy of a sign' process:
in the begining....

After several layers of background color are applied
to the board and, are completely dry,
the design is lightly sketched in.
then, basecoating the basic colors onto the design, (the boring part!)...





now for some fun!
adding details and shading. sometimes
getting a little tedious, I switch to the
letters...




more and more shading and highlighting and
more details bringing her to life!







she's finally ready for some distressing & a coat of wax!


Viola!




I'm just pleased as punch with her...if she isn't found by the right person, I know just where she'll go!
Happy October!
*-:¦:-•:*'paula*:•.-:¦:-•:*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so incredibly talented! I sure I could paint like you...

Have a great weekend,
Aimee

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

thanks Aimee..for stopping by and for your sweet, inspirational words:)
paula

PWS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I amin lovewith your signs and your blog!!! Love...love...love them!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

cloverbrook cottage said...

Paula, Your signs are wonderful! I am just starting my blog Cloverbrook Cottage...not much happening but I'm trying. I was wondering if you make custom signs?
Lisa
lisa_schuda@yahoo.com